Tuesday 2 August 2011

'Twas the night before Chemo

So after 3 weeks of recovering from my surgery, Chemo is well and truly on the doorstep!  It feels like I first met my Oncologist just a few days ago but in another sense it feels like I haven't seen her for months.  My wonderful family and friends have kept me very distracted over the past few weeks and there have been days where I haven't cried at all - phew, I can slow down on the purchasing of tissues!     

My rehabilitation is going well although my physiotherapist is a Nazi!  Don't get me wrong, she is very good but after my first appointment I was on painkillers and a heat pack for days!  She really does push me but I suppose in a way she has to.  I need to make sure I regain full use of my right arm especially as this is my 'preferred' arm.

I was very excited to return to work this week after several weeks break.  I honestly couldn't have been happier!  It was so wonderful to see all of my amazing work friends and they made it even more special by hosting an organic morning tea for me - we had popcorn, corn chips, guacamole, fruit and it was delicious!!  They have decided, however, that they don't like the word organic and will instead call it 'organza' - and I love it :)  I left just after lunch today and was a little sad.  At this stage I am not sure when I will be returning.  I haven't wanted to commit to a return date yet in case I am not well during Chemo.

Well this brings me back to tomorrow - my first session of Chemo.  I am full of emotion.  The over-riding feeling is one of unknown.  I wish I knew how I would be feeling this time tomorrow night or in a couple of days.  As I have been told time and time again, I should expect the worst and if I only have a couple of side effects, then I am doing well.  I think it is going to be difficult and maybe even confronting making my way into the Chemo day unit tomorrow.  Returning to the hospital will no doubt make it all hit home again so I should go and pack some tissues in my bag now whilst I remember :)

After reading all of my Chemo notes again, I think I am prepared as I can be.  I started taking my pre-meds tonight to help with any nausea.  This will also need to be taken tomorrow morning, tomorrow night and again the following day.  I also need to have an injection the day after Chemo to boost my immune system.  This will be done at The Mount on Thursday (one day after my first Chemo treatment) although my Mum has offered to do this for me going forward once she has seen the experts do it the first time around.  I am relieved about this as it will save me having to return back to The Mount again.  Poor Ryan's not too excited about sticking a needle in my tummy and I don't blame him. 

Once again, a very big thank you again to my special family and friends for their loving support.  I would also like to make special mention of Organic Home - can you believe the Think Pink for Emma candles have raised over $1000 in just a couple of days.  AMAZING!!!  

In finishing I wanted to share with you the very precious message my wonderful husband wrote on my 'Never, Never, Never Give Up' poster - it brings me to tears every time!

"To my beautiful wife Emma,

We have spoken many times of how lucky we are and often wondered if our bubble would one day burst.  If this is our challenge in life, our stumbling block, our burst bubble, then together we are most definitely up to the fight!

With the love and support of our family and friends there is no doubt in my mind that you will overcome this cancer with pure strength and determination.

We know there will be some difficult days ahead of you.  On those days when you are at your lowest, when you feel like it is all too hard, I want you to read these messages from your many friends and family and remember just how much we all love you.

Then I want you to think of our girls; Jasmine and Baylee.  Think of all the things we have to look forward too, watching them grow up.  Everything you do from this point on will be for them.  Our little family doesn't work without you babe!  Never, Never, Never Give Up!
Love always,
Ryan."

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck today my baby. I'm with you all the way!
Love Ryan.

Anonymous said...

Ive certainly been going thru a lot of tissues reading your blog Em !! I have learnt to have the tissues next to the computer as I read now! Reading about your story and how strong and brave you have been with your wonderful family by your side is so overwhelming. I wish you all the strength and courage to get thru the chemo. I will be thinking of you and sending you lots of love xx all the best lovely girl xx

Anonymous said...

Emma, Hi there luv! I'm praying for you with my whole heart-- Ryan's words brought me to tears; I sure wish Texas wasn't so far away from my best Aussie girl (that would be you!)... lots of love,
your other sister Julie

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow, Emma. Terry Munslow-Davies

Anonymous said...

Wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow, Marnie Hunter xx

Anonymous said...

Dear Emma, I just read your blog for the first time. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. We are sending you lots of love and hugs. You are so beautiful, in every way. Kym and Dave from KL xxxx

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with everything Emma! Tomorrow you kick cancer to the curb. Your blog brings me to tears every time I read it. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful loving husband. I booked in for a check with my Dr Friday, thankfully all good but if nothing else you have made me more aware of the need for regular checks. Thank you. Now keep your chin up and walk into that chemo room knowing you are going to beat this. Sarah Brookes xxx

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow gorgeous girl. It's 3:34am and I'm up feeding Mia, could have done with having some tissues by the bed after reading your blog and Ryans beautiful note to you xo my candles arrived today so as they burn in my house tomorrow I'll be thing of you. Chemo will knock this demon down once and for all so just hang in there babe. Kym Oakes xo

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow Em. I will be thinking about you & praying for the best possible outcome. Lots of love to you. Kyles Baldacchino x

Anonymous said...

Best of luck for today Em! Another step on the road to a full recovery. Will be thinking of you today. Alaina x x

Anonymous said...

Em - like we talked about last night.... might be 4 months worth of feeling crap but a life ahead of feeling good. Will be thinking of you all day. Will speak later. Lizzy x

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Love Emma Kirkpatrick x

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today Emma, lots of love & hugs, Kristen xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Emma, so sorry your going thru all of this everyone is behind you, Moira xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hope the first treatment went well. You blogs are so well written that it brings me to tears. Keep strong, thinking of you every day! Fiona Bruce xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma, hope today went well. You must be exhausted as such a big day & build up to start chemo. Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight & are feeling ok. Lisa Giangiordano Xxxx